The Business of Bullshit

The Business of Bullshit - Graham Edmonds This book is a definite must-read. If you have worked in any office setting, or even in education, you owe it to yourself to read this book which details the terms used by bullshitters just about anywhere. Though the book does have a slight British focus, this does not take away from the experience other than American readers may come across a few terms they may have never seen before. I like how the book gives the actual meaning of the term, and then it provides the bullshit translation. Sometimes the contrast between the real meaning and bullshit meaning provides great humor. Odds are good that you may find yourself reading this book and recognizing a coworker or two. I know I did. I also know I found myself making a few notes in my journal of things I wanted to remember. This is certainly a book I would consider keeping on my shelf at work. To be honest, a lot of the terms are applicable and present in academic librarianship, which, along with the pretentiousness often found in higher education overall, has plenty of bullshit present.